Monday, September 23, 2013

My Clubs

            So when I say I’m involved in my school I’m not kidding.  My friends joke that I always know what events are happening on campus.  I am in two community service clubs, another club, and a sorority.    One of my favorite things in the world is to do service.
 I believe that giving back to your community is really important.  One of my clubs every weekend cleans up the campus and yes it is not fun, but it’s nice to know that when people go to classes on Monday the campus will look clean.   Another thing we do at Christmas time is go to an event put on by another college for disadvantaged kids.  We are each paired up with a child and go around the campus and do different activities.  The kids loved doing the different games and at the end of the day that made it so worth it.   In my other service club we help at the local food pantry.  I love going there the people who come in are so friendly. 

The third club I am apart of is called Equality Alliance.  This is a club is a support group, and family that provides a safe place for people of all sexualities.  This club is one of the places I feel safest on campus.  I know that these people will never judge me and always have my back.  This club supports people who are gay and lesbian.  I myself am not lesbian, but this club has taught me so much about myself its crazy.   Before this past summer I have always been one of those people that keeps their opinion’s to themselves.  Some people might have thought I did not have an opinion, I did I just do not like conflict.  This past summer I took two online classes and one of the topics we talked about was sexuality.  Some of my peers were emphasizing stereotypes that people often say about gays and lesbians and they were also saying that it was “wrong”.  Probably for one of the first times in my life I stood up and said that I did not agree with what they were saying.  I have many good friends in Equality Alliance and I do not view them as living their lives “wrong”.  They are very nice people going to college to start their future just like me.  This club has given me the confidence to stand up for what I believe in and not to be afraid to speak my mind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment