Saturday, September 7, 2013

Freshman Tips

I just started my junior year in college.  I go to school in Ohio, but live in New York.   A lot of people are always surprised that I am from New York.   I guess I seem like a regular Ohioan.  I have some tips for freshman in their first year of college.
1.      Go to the freshman activities – I know when you first get to school your feeling overwhelmed by everything that is new and the last thing you want to do is put yourself out there with a bunch of strangers.  I did not go to these activities, but regret it.  The past two years I have volunteered to help run the events on opening weekend for freshman and each time I have been kicking myself for not going.  One of the pluses of these events is usually there is free stuff and you will learn in college free stuff is valued.  It is also a great way to meet people who are bran new just like you.
2.        Get Involved – For me this was a great way to meet people!  Being in a club that has something you are passionate about will just lead you to meet more people who have similar passions.  One thing that I enjoy doing is community service and I am in two clubs that center around it.  I love hanging out with people who like to serve their community just like me.
3.       Make friends that are upper classmen – this will help you a lot!  Upper classmen are a great resource to use when you are scheduling classes for you spring semester.  They will be able to tell you who are the good professors and who are the bad ones.   They have an inside scoop on the different groups on campus and where you might fit in.
4.        Don’t be afraid to go to Professors office hours – most professors are more than happy to help you if you do not understand your homework.  Professors will be happy to see that you care about your classes and that when you don’t understand something you asked for help.

5.       Take advantage of events that go on the weekends – at my school every weekend there is something to do.  There is a whole club dedicated to creating events at my school on the weekends.  Some of the events they have include movies, comedians, and bands.    These are great fun and also usually free.


No comments:

Post a Comment